Chest burning, dry cough. Taken Dynapur, Pantop and Colopol. Still have fever and cough. Should I visit another doctor?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I had dry cough Wednesday night and everytime I would cough I would get chest burning. I took Benedryl cough syrup. It dint help and I got fever (101F) as well on Thursday morning.
I went to a doctor and explained the same to him, he said dry cough is because of acidity/gastric and prescribed below medicines.

Dynapur injection
pantop injection
Colopol 650 mg
lebact 250
Pandi FF

I have taken these medicine. Fever reduces only for 4-6 hours after taking medicine, but comes back after that. Till now I have taken 3 of the Colpol tablets. I feel better right now, but I still feel I have fever inside.

Please suggest if I should visit another doctor. Thank you very much for your reply.

Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
As per the details you have provided it seems that you are suffering from a respiratory infection causing the cough and fever rather than acidity.
The burning sensation could be due to the acid reflux / gastritis but it is not the main cause of the illness.
The treatment prescribed , seems appropriate as of now .
The calpol 650 is acetaminophen , for the fever .
Lebact is an antibiotic for the chest infection.
Pan D seems to be pantoprazole , an antacid for the acidity .
It usually takes about 48 -72 hours for the symptoms to respond after starting treatment ie about 2-3 days of therapy( 6 doses of calpol and 4 doses of lebact) but it all varies from patient to patient.
So if your symptoms are not worsening then it's advisable to wait and watch and continue the same treatment .
You can consult a chest physician ( specialist) if your cough and fever worsen or you develop any breathing difficulty.
As of now the situation is not worrisome .
You can try the following for faster recovery.
1. Drink plenty of fluids ( soups, juices , water ), eat nutritious food and take adequate sleep .
2. Gargling with warm salt water thrice daily and using steam inhalations thrice daily improve blood circulation and decrease cough.
3. You may take prescribed multivitamin and zinc supplements as per your doctors advice for improving your energy ( eg zincovit, becosule, etc )
However If fever persists after 3 days then get a complete blood test done ( CBC ESR ) as per your doctors referral.

Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing you a speedy recovery .