Chest and back pain, history of GERD and gastritis. Taking Prilosec. Blood in stool, nausea, fatigue. Any advice?

for about 3 months now I have been experiencing dull pain on the right side of my chest and back (pretty much about a 5/10 on a 0-10 pain scale). It feels more like my chest wall and back is inflamed. I have a on and off history of GERD and gastritis which usually comes especially when my stress level is high. This summer I started experiencing alot of belching or burping pretty much I belch through out the day with or without eating. Been taking prilosec but haven't experienced any relieve. Also about twice now I have seen some slight blood (red) mixed in my stool. Sometimes I feel nauseated and have a hard time consuming food, no vomiting though and sometimes I do have fatigue.
Back in May when I was experiencing similar symptoms i.e pain in right side of chest and back except for the belching I went to the hospital, x-rays, MRI and Ultra sound was done but nothing was see, my lungs were clear and everything else was fine all I was given was diclofenac to relieve the pain which didn't really help much.

Any advice on what I should do?
Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 56 minutes later

Thanks for the question.

This doesn't look like plain GERD. There might be underlying cause like hiatus hernia, gastric hernia, esophagitis or diverticulum associated with this.So ideally this should be investigated with barium swallow and endoscopy.

Fresh blood in stools is seen when bleeding is through lower GIT. So this is unlikely to be related to GERD. There are many cause of such rectal bleed and bleed can occur from different sites of GIT. The usual causes are anal fissure, haemorroids, polyps, colitis/proctitis and cancer. Even blood coagulations and some medications can cause such bleeding.

I strongly suggest you to get a clinical evaluation done by a doctor, who will locate site of bleed and its likely cause. Investigation like colonoscopy may also be needed. The issue can be serious if the bleeding increase or leads to anemia.

I hope I have been helpful to you, Please ask if there are any doubts.