Chest and back discomfort, stress, fatigue. Blood tests normal. No medical history. Causes for symptoms?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I've been experiencing an ache or mild discomfort behind my left upper back and sometimes on my chest that may last for a few seconds. It doesn't occur often. For the last few days I've been feeling tired and nausea. I don't know if this is stress related or the discomfort could be due to my heart. I do not any of the following: high blood pressure, diabete, high/low cholestorol, family history of heart disease, and do not smoke as well. I just had a complete blood test done 3 weeks ago and the results were normal. Please advised.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later

Upper left back or chest pain associated with nausea is likely to be due to hyperacidity, peptic ulcer or reflux or stress induced gastritis. In your case a heart problem seems less likely but you can always confirm it by consulting your physician and getting an ECG (electrocardiogram) done.

I would say the most common cause in your case is likely to be stress induced gastritis, so first of all avoid stress, sleep for 8 hrs daily, minimize or avoid coffee or fried foods, drink plenty of water and eat five small meals a day at regular intervals rather than two big meals.

Also you may try yoga or exercise like XXXXXXX breathing for at least half hour daily for relaxation. If symptoms persist after a couple of weeks, then please consult your physician for complete evaluation and confirmation of diagnosis or treatment with antacids like pantoprazole or ranitidine.

If you develop any new symptom like breathlessness, palpation or vomiting or then seek prompt consultation.

Hope I have answered your query. I'll be available for any follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Chest and back discomfort, stress, fatigue. Blood tests normal. No medical history. Causes for symptoms? 12 hours later
Thanks for your respond. I was having these similar symptoms 3 weeks ago and was diagnosed with a antibiotics for the infections my symptoms went away for about 3 weeks now. Can any of the information you described above be serious? I don't have any abdominal pain or bleeding that would relate. I don't want to worry too much. Hoping that it will go away with time.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 45 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up.

Please dont worry as the present situation is as of now not a serious problem.
There is a possibility of it resolving on it's own or after some lifestyle modifications as mentioned above. Do remember to drink plenty of water and other fluids.

If the problem persists for another couple of weeks, do consult your physician for a reevaluation and confirmation of diagnosis.

Follow-up: Chest and back discomfort, stress, fatigue. Blood tests normal. No medical history. Causes for symptoms? 28 hours later
The nausea seems to improve however I still experience a mild ache on my left shoulder and upper back. I may feel it once to twice a day lasting for a few seconds. The ache doesn't seem to worsen however it just comes and goes quickly. How do I know if it's just a normal back or shoulder ache or if its associated with the heart? Like mentioned previously, I do not have any of the risk factors for heart disease.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

Pain radiating to the left shoulder can be either heart related or gastrointestinal like pancreas related. Though you do not have any risk factor a simple electrocardiogram can rule out heart related pain. So if pain persists for more than a week, do consult your doctor for evaluation.