Chest above breast hurts, more when deep breath is taken. On thyroid tablet. Strained a muscle?

I lifted something heavy yesterday and all of a sudden, this afternoon, the chest area above my right breast hurts. More of an achy feeling, especially when a take a XXXXXXX breath or move positions. I don't have any other pains and my breathing and blood pressure is fine. I don't have any heart problems and I don't take any medications, other than for my thyroid. Do you think I've strained a muscle?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for posting your question here.

Yes, you have pulled an intercostal muscle. This will take a few days to start improving and may get worse before it gets better! Because it is in an area that is always moving by your breathing in and out, it takes time. You will be fine!

Hope I have answered your query. Do write back if you have any doubts.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Andrew Rynne.