Chest X-ray shows hyperinflation of lungs. History of smoking. Tips to improve lung functioning?

ex-smoker, never reached a pack a day. smoked from 1975 to 1992. had two spontaneous pneumothorax, the second required surgery in 1992, removed small emphasematous bleb in right lung apex. did a talc poudrage repair. started running in 1996 and quit in 2010. just got my annual physical, always includes a chest x-ray due to history of smoking, impression: Hyperinflation of lungs is seen. No acute infiltrates or consolidation is seen in either lung. Chronic blunting of right costophrenic angle is seen. chest is stable compared to previous study of 11-16-2011. I'm 58 year old white male, 5.10 and 165 pounds. very active and healthy - work out, golf (always walk), ride bike and use a stairmaster that literally kills my oxygen. is there anything i can do to improve my lung function? i think my last lung function result was an FEV1 at 78%. what do you make of impression.
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 2 hours later

Thanks for visitinG XXXXXXX

It is apparent that you have suffered from Emthysema/COPD in the past causing spontaneous pneumonothorax where smoking was likely an aggravating factor.

It is good that you have stopped smoking and keeping yourself physically active.

Hyperinflation of lungs is due to COPD/Emphysema which means there is more air trapping in your lungs. Chr blunting of Rt CP angle is also because of hyperinflation because here diaphragm is flattened or lowly placed as it is pushed down by trapped air.

Your Lung function is pretty good and there is no cause to worry.

Continue with your physical activities(Avoid doing stairmaster till the breaking point) and avoid smoke in all forms as much as possible.