Chest X-ray shows Bilateral hilar congestion with prominent broncho vascular markings- Bronchitis. Have cough & fever. X-ray report means?

hello, I just had an X-ray of my chest. it says that " Bilateral hilar congestion with prominent broncho vascular markings- Bronchitis".
I'm suffering from cough for last 5 days. I had fever for 4 days. Can you pls tell me what the symptoms are and thex-ray report says?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later

There are 2 issues that need to be resolved here:

1. Acute cough and fever since few days (4-5days) with X XXXXXXX features suggesting bronchitis
2. Clubbing that you have since many years.

I shall try to address both these concerns

1.     The symptoms and the X XXXXXXX features are suggestive of inflammation in the lining of lower respiratory tract. The condition is medically termed as bronchitis. This is likely to be an acute viral bronchitis, although rarely bacterial causes are also responsible. If you have associated phlegm production, it is likely to be bacterial. In this case, antibiotics will be required.
I wish to reassure you that it is reversible and treatable condition. The following measures will produce relief:
a.     Steam inhalation , 2-3 times a day
b.     Tablet Cetrizine 10mg once a day.
c.     Please consult your physician for antibiotics like azithromycin and amoxicillin-clavulanate ( only if you . You may also need anti-allergic treatment like diphenyhydramine These are prescription drugs and
d.     Avoid smoking and a dusty environment.
2. Clubbing is usually associated with a long lasting condition, where the condition can be associated with lung, heart or digestive system disease. A careful physical examination can rule out serious medical problems which may need attention. However, in some people, it is present since birth and is normal. If it is not present since birth, I encourage you not to ignore clubbing. Medical attention is essential.

Hope I have provided you with the necessary information. Let me know if I have left out any of your concerns. Do accept the answer if you do not have any other doubts.

Wish you good health and a speedy recovery.