Chemotherapy done. Developed pus filled bumps on lower legs. No pain or itching. Worrisome

Dec 2012

My husband just finished his first round of chemotherapy a few days ago, he has now developed a rash on his lower legs. It started as dark red slightly raised bumps on his right leg. Now the bumps on his right leg are filling with puss and he is starting to develop the rash on his left leg as well. They do not hurt or itch. None of the doctor's we've seen can tell us what they are.
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 41 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query,
I am pleased to be able to assist you with your worry.
After looking at the image, the rashes can described (primary lesions) are diffused erythematous/red maculo-pustular (red macular and centralized pustular rashes). Given that they occurred shortly after the chemotherapy, we could be tempted to assume or conclude that they maybe as a result of the chemo (side effect maybe). But looking at the rashes, they look like Pityrosporum folliculitis usually caused by gram-positive cocci and culture could also reveal pseudomonas (both being infectious bacteria). Treating with topical antibiotics or steroid and maybe additional oral antibiotics can do away with it. I suggest consultation with a dermatologist to confirm the cause and the fact that it is predisposition to chemotherapy.

Hope this was useful and wish you the best
Dr. Bernard