Cheesy vaginal discharge, vaginal and anal itching, sweating, taken acidophils, partner got itchy rash on penis after sex

Question
Good morning. I have had a white cottage cheesy vaginal discharge for the last ten days or so accompanied by vaginal and anal itching as well as a slightly more sensitive clitoris. I thought it might be a yeast infection so have been taking acidiphills tablets for the last 3 days without improvement. I am 41 years old and have sensitive skin - I use fragrance free detergents, I have been working out more often and therefore have increased the times I am sweating with runners tights on so am wondering if that could contribute? Most concerning is that I had sex with my husband at the outset of my symptoms, about 10 days ago, and the following day he developed an itchy rash on his penis glans, this went away in about three days without any treatment. I have only had sex with my husband for 21 plus years and have never been diagnosed with std, I have no reason to believe my husband has been with any other partners for the same time frame. Any help you could provide would be appreciated. Thank you.

41 years old, no children, 170 pounds, 5'10", good health, physically active, married and monagamos
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Women Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later

The cottage cheesy vaginal discharge with vaginal and anal itching is classical of vaginal yeast infection. Yeast infections in female genital tract are notorious for recurrence. Once you contact this infection, it should be treated vigorously with oral antifungal agents and vaginal antifungal creams or suppositories. Fluconazole and azithromycin are considered as considerably effective drugs. You can consult your gynaecologist for selecting the best drug for you after proper examination.

Acidophillus tablets help only in the minor infection and are more commonly used for preventing such infections.

Increased sweating in runner tights is a major aggravating factor.
You need to take antifungal drugs orally along with antibacterial agent in order to treat any super added infection that might have been present.

You can take some general measures to avoid recurrence-
1.Avoid wearing tight underwear or other tight acrylic garments everyday. Use loose fitting cotton underwear and panties. Avoid wearing jeans, legging, panty hose every day.
2.Stay away from deodorant sanitary pads and tampons.
3.Do not remain in wet clothes for a long time.
4. You can insert tampoons dipped in yogurt into your vagina twice a day. Be sure not to keep them inside for more than two hours.

The itchy rash on your husband's penis also seems to be due to fungal infection. Applying a topical antifungal ointment like cotrimazole will help him.

Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Regards.