Cheek injury, swollen, eye bruise

my son is 13 year old and 3 days ago he was hit on the right cheek by elbow of his friend during play basketball. His cheek still hurt and swallen. Does his cheek broken or not and his lower lid eye bruises.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Since the cheek comprises of soft tissue overlying the facial bone ( maxilla ) and the mandible.The swelling and the chances of the fracture are expected.

The swelling he has could be due to contusion and subsequent inflammation as a result of the injury.Need not worry it will subside on its own and for speed recovery you can apply cold packs over the affected area.

If he is able to open his mouth without much pain or effort then the fracture could be least expected.Minor movements can trigger tremendous pain if there is an underlying fracture.

I would suggest you to get an Xray of the mandible to be on the safer side , as some minor hairline fractures can be present with no much pain.

Also consider giving him pain killers like NSAIDs ( Ibuprofen 200 mg twice daily after food for two days)for relief from pain and swelling

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Cheek injury, swollen, eye bruise 15 minutes later
it was happened on sat 05-14 can i still apply ice pack or apply warm cotton ball and massage on his cheek. He does not have pain with his jaw movement. His lower eye lid got bruises. The cheek bone is only hurt when he touch it. When these symtoms will go away? His eye was normal that was the eye doctor already check up on Monday. Does he needs to take an x-ray or not?my son has fatty liver and high alt 170 can he still take ADVIL? THANKS.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 27 minutes later
Hi again,

Thanks for following me up.

Yes, you can apply ice packs now .The eye lid bruise will stay for not less than a week.But the swelling in the cheek and the pain associated may take more time to subside and it depends on the extent and severity of the injury.

I would still consider Xray as a need here.get it done to be clear and not miss any minor fractures also.

Yes, Advil is known to rise the liver enzymes.You can still give a lower dose say not more than 200 mg per day preserving the safety.

Hope I answered all your queries completely,

Wish him good health.