Chattering of teeth while sleeping. Given gentel syrup. Is this due to worms?

Feb 2013

my younger daughter has aproblem that she while sleeping at night make lots of chattering of teeth. we have given her the complete dose of Gentel syrup assuming the probl;em is due to worms. but the problem still persists.please help. is this normal for the children. she is 5 years old
Posted Sat, 23 Feb 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 44 minutes later
Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,
The condition of your younger daughter chattering of teeth is called Bruxism or teeth grinding.
It is a habit disorder and tension-discharging phenomena.
The exact reason for this condition is not known.
But it is associated with daytime anxiety.
The following measures will help to relieve the problem:
1. Help the child find ways to reduce anxiety.
2. Bedtime can be made more enjoyable and relaxed by reading or talking with the
3. Permitting review of fears or angers experienced during the day.
4. Praise and emotional support.
By following the above measures, the frequency of the chattering of teeth will gradually decrease.
But the persistent bruxism in spite of the above methods requires a consultation with Dentist for the need habit breaking appliance (night mouth guard) as untreated bruxism may lead to teeth attrition, malocclusion and temporomandibular joint problems.
Repeated cold and cough is common in children below the age of 6 years and they can be treated symptomatically with antihistamines and cough medication as prescribed.
Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.
Follow-up: Chattering of teeth while sleeping. Given gentel syrup. Is this due to worms? 46 hours later
she does not have any anxiety since we lead a very healthy life. we have our elder daughter of 8 years who also takes care of her. furthermore, she likes to go to school everyday and enjoy a lot. some time she has a fight with her elder sister but that is normal.

she also had a problem of bed wetting which is frequent every night during winter. we made urine test also and it was normal.

she is very shy and speaks little
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 22 minutes later
Thank you for your query,
As I told the exact reason and the cause for chattering of teeth is unknown, but it is a tension discharging phenomenon.
The main approach for its management is to identify the daytime anxiety and to support the child to get relief from the anxiety by reassuring her.
The anxiety of the children is very difficult to know, but can be addressed by talking daily, discussing with the child and giving emotional support.
In spite of this methods, still the problem persists, consult a Dentist for habit breaking dental appliance.
What about the bed wetting problem at present? Is she having nowadays?
Children will have their own temperament characteristics and some will be shy and speak less whereas the other will be talkative. Nothing to worry as the age grows child will learn things by observing peer groups, friends and play mates.
Follow-up: Chattering of teeth while sleeping. Given gentel syrup. Is this due to worms? 6 minutes later
yes she is having the bed wetting problem now as well.

she has problem with constipation and has bowel evry alternate day. she takes lot of vegetable however she used to like prawn, fish and chicken very much earlier however she is not liking the same now days since last 1.5 months.
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 19 minutes later
Thank you for providing information,
I advise you the following measures for the treatment of bed wetting:
1.Reward the child for being dry at night, and you can chart the dry nights, and
with each dry night, a small reward can be given.
2.The child should void before going to bed for sleeping.
3.Using a alarm clock to wake the child once 2-3 hour after falling asleep.
4.Punishment or humiliation of the child by anybody should be discouraged.
Medication for bed wetting is a second line of therapy and used after the age of 6 years.
For constipation, give more dietary fiber XXXXXXX foods like fruits, vegetables, plenty of water and make her sitting in the bathroom for 5 to 10 minutes daily if she is passing hard stools on every alternate day.
Hope I have answered your query. Please let me know if you have any clarification.
Thank you.