Chapped lips. dry mouth at night, red spots on gum line, fingers tingle and arms sore. Is it normal?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I've been noticing a series of strange symptoms. I don't know if they are separate issues or could be related to something in particular. List of symptoms include

Chapped lips (3weeks improve and then get worse again)
Very dry mouth at night
Small red "blood" spots on my gumline near 2 of my upper teeth
Tingly fingertips (thumb/ index finger and soreness in my upper arm and shoulder (muscular pain)

Please advise!
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 21 minutes later

Dry mouth and inadequate hydration or any recent stress can cause chapped lips and secondary dental infection but with all the mentioned symptoms nutritional deficiencies mostly vitamin b and c are suspected.

Vitamin B deficiency is known to cause glossitis (tongue), angular cheilitis (lips), neuromuscular pains and parasthesias i.e. tingling and numbness in extremities.

Vitamin C deficiency can cause weakened and sore bleeding gums and calcium deficiency can cause bone pains.

I would advise you consult your physician for a thorough examination and confirmation of diagnosis.

If pallor or anemia is found on clinical examination then some investigations might be needed like complete blood counts, blood sugar, serum vitamin B 12, serum iron and calcium.

Alternatively your physician can prescribe a multivitamin and watch for clinical improvement.

If symptoms persist even after that then other infective or pathologic causes should be ruled out.
As of now there is nothing worrisome but it does warrant a clinical evaluation by your doctor.

Follow-up: Chapped lips. dry mouth at night, red spots on gum line, fingers tingle and arms sore. Is it normal? 16 hours later
I have been taking a multivitamin for a week or so. Should there be improvement by this time?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
Thanks for follow up.
It might take a couple of weeks for visible response, so do continue to take it for another week and make sure it has vitamin b complex vitamins mainly b 12, b 6 .
Wish you good health.