Changed from stool softener to metamucil. Would this have caused the diarrhoea?

Follow up Question to Dr. XXXXXXX AT for my husbands condition with diarrhea.
Q. Recently changed from stool softener to Metamucil (psyllium fiber capsules. Would this have caused the diarrhea. I bought him Chinese Chicken Rice Soup 1 Qt. yesterday and he ate it all. Also Gatorade 1 qt. Using the BRATT diet for now Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Tea, Toast. Can he have more of these items. So far today his diarrhea has lessened. Tommorow he is to go for a fasting blood test, should he go or change the appt. and wait for a day or two? This is for a follow up with the cardiologist for next thursday.
Posted Wed, 15 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 7 hours later

Yes, there are chances where Metamucil could have caused watery diarrhoea.

The diet he is on presently is perfect , if it is acceptable to him I shall advice you to continue the same(Chinese Chicken Rice Soup, Gatorade and BRATT) for another 2 days.

Yes, you may have to postpone the appointment , as in stress periods like this his blood sugars can be on higher sides even on fasting.He can wait for 2 days for the test.

Hope I cleared your doubts,

Wish you good health.