Change in pulse, rhythm disorder, heart valve surgery

I am a woman age 47, 148 pounds, 5foot4. I had a mitral valve repair operation 2 yrs. ago. Valve checked and perfectly well. I have been excersising 3 times a week on and off, but regulaly since january 1. When I walk on the treadmill, warming up, my puls will suddenly drop, from 120/130 to 70, stay there some minutes and jump up to 140 and then down to 70 again. My puls is upredictable, lowering itself when it should get higher. It used to happen one time, but now this lasts up to 25 minutes. After such excersise my heart is uncalm. I have tested to have my puls sones correct. My puls seems to fly up if I step of the treadmill and take two or three XXXXXXX breaths. Should I just continue pressuring myself? I have problems taking a XXXXXXX breath, lungs feel small, since november, I was sick all november. Doctors didn't find the cause, CRP 220. I suspect Vally fever, has taken two tests but not confirmed.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 1 hour later

The changes in your pulse rate that you describe, could be the sign of a rhythm disorder. If you do not get an symptoms along with the changes, such as palpitations, dizziness, fainting or weakness, there may not be a cause for worry.

I would recommend that you get some tests done to rule our rhythm disorder. The heart beats synchronously because of electrical wiring of heart. There are nodes present in the heart which control the rhythm. Rhythm disorders occur when there is some problem in the electrical wiring or the nodes. A heart valve surgery such as the one you had, can damage the wiring.

Some tests that you will need are an electrocardiogram and electrophysiological studies (EP) that are done by some Cardiologists. IF EP study is normal, you may need to get a Tread Mill Test done.

Avoid using the treadmill till you get tested.

Hope I have answered your queries. I am also available for your follow ups.