Chances of transmitting STD through oral sex?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Last night I made the drunken mistake of having an escort over. She performed about 2 minutes of oral before I chickened out and made her leave. That was the only physical contact made and lasted for no more than 2 minutes before I came to my senses and panic ensued. I'm now concerned about any STDS and while I know they are possible - was curious as to how much I should worry given the duration of the action and the type of the action.
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 6 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Oral sex has comparatively very low chances of transmitting HIV or other STDs than that of penetrative sex. Moreover even in these low chances, the receiver (who uses their mouth) is more vulnerable for pharyngitis and and ulcers than the giver.

So you are not having great risk for HIV/ STD. Immediate washing of genitals also ensured that you will unlikely to be at risk.

Now as it is very early to predict, wait for any symptom ( not likely to occur). If there is any you can have investigations under the guidance of your physician.

But I assure you that your risk is very very low.

Good luck to you.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Chances of transmitting STD through oral sex? 39 minutes later
I don't understand - are you saying that I'm at a lesser risk as the oral was performed on my with my insertion of my penis into her mouth? Is this likely an example of me letting anxiety take me over given that I've never dome anything like this before. CERTAINLY learned my lesson. Does it help my case that it was for a short period before I made her stop?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
welcome back with your feed back questions.

Yes, absolutely you are at very very lesser risk as you are at giving end (insertion into someone's mouth).

Duration is not that matters as it does not to rise or reduce the chances of getting infection to a great extent. But the chances of getting infection from you to that girl had been reduced greatly as you had not ejaculated.

Don't get confused, your chances of getting HIV/STD is very very remote and you need not worry about the same.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Chances of transmitting STD through oral sex? 7 hours later
I'm not concerned of infecting her as I've been tested in the past and was clean. I'm concerned about her infecting me with the 2 minutes in her mouth. And not just HIV - I'm concerned about all possible STD infection? Can you address that as well as let me know that the person on the receiving in of oral sex (in this case male inserting penis in females mouth) is at less risk than what the female faces by having a penis inserted into her mouth?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later

HIV and other STDs are not likely to be transmitted from the mouth of the female to a male into his penis or ultimately into his body. HIV, Syphilis, Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, HPV,Hepatitis are very unusual to be transmitted from female to a male through oral sex. Herpes Simplex infection may likely to be transmitted from the mouth to penis if the girl has lesion over her lips or mouth.
Other possibilities are very rare.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Chances of transmitting STD through oral sex? 13 minutes later
So would you suggest I calm down and if I get any symptoms (which you think is unlikely) go get tested? How long should I wait? Is the early HIV test accurate and if so, would that most likely be a waste of time, money, and more importantly to me - worry? I didn't notice lesions on her mouth and didn't see inside of her mouth. I have the oral herpes from years and years ago. Would it be the same mouth cold sore virus?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 9 hours later

Welcome back

Yes absolutely correct. If any symtom appears, then you can go on for check up and investigations. Otherwise tests for STDs are not necessary. HIV test can be done at the earliest after the completion of 3 weeks with P24 Antigen test or DNA PCR test which are more conclusive by this time. Regards to Syphilis 4-6 weeks after the risky contact is ideal to have a test. For others only after any symptoms appear, otherwise tests are not necessary.

Cold sores also caused by Herpes group of virus, but mostly transmitted through non-venereal route (HSV 1), whereas Genital Herpes is caused by HSV 2 and transmitted only by sex contact. HSV 1 rarely may be transmitted to genitals by sexual act.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you don't have further queries let us close this conversation.
DR. S.Murugan