Chances of identical symptoms for TIA twice in a year, loss of vision . Normal ?

What are the chances that a person would have identical symptoms for a TIA twice in a row a year apart? Is it common or rare.

Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Stroke
Follow-up: Chances of identical symptoms for TIA twice in a year, loss of vision . Normal ? 3 minutes later
In my case I had a temporary loss of vision in the left eye of 30 seconds. A year later the exact same symptom occured.
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 14 minutes later

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.
I understand you need help with TIA information, which is a medical emergency.

More than 10% of people who have a TIA will have a stroke within 3 months. Half of these strokes happen during the 48 hours after a TIA.
The recurrence rate for the first year after a lacunar stroke and for the following two years is approximately 10% as per a meta-analysis study. But, lacunar variety is rare, and I do not know what your type of TIA is.

2%, 4%, 12%, 29% are the rates of recurrence for 1week, 1month, 1year and 5years as per a Rochester study.

I hope I have answered your concern on a broad sense, now.

If you have additional questions regarding these recommendations or further new queries as you prepare to make decision regarding future care, do not hesitate to reply.

Follow-up: Chances of identical symptoms for TIA twice in a year, loss of vision . Normal ? 1 hour later
I lost complete vision in my left eye for 30 seconds; I then had a chocolate milk effect of brown light; then pinholes of light like swiss cheese; then floaters that removed themselves and cleared up my vision. 1 1/2 years later I had similar symptoms. My question is: Is it rare to have identical symptoms two times in a row like this or is it something that can be expected.
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello again,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it is common for anyone to experience the same or different set of symptoms after a TIA attack initially. The minute details may or may not vary.

Recurrence rates are dependent on the individual and the treatment and prognosis based on the extent of the first attack.

Do not worry, follow all the preventive measures that your physician would have discussed with you in detail already.

I hope I have cleared your query now. Write back if further queries arise.