Chances of getting pregnant after fingering and negative pregnancy test?

Question
Hi there - I have some inquiries about pregnancy.

My girlfriend and I do not have intercourse, however, we do "mess around" on occasion. She is on birth control...the kind in which you do not take a placebo, so she is not due for a period for another 2 months.

Recently, we "messed around" and were on top of one another with underwear on with genitals against each other. Again, we both had underwear on. Also, I may have had a tiny drop of preseminal fluid on my hand, which I wiped off, before fingering her. I'm 99% certain my hand was dry at the time I went inside.

She has been extremely worried lately that she is pregnant. She has been experiencing some spotting of blood and has been having some headaches and such that felt like a sinus headache. She has spotted before in the past while on this method of birth control, and she does have sinus issues, so it could all be from that.

We took two pregnancy tests...the First Response brand. One was an analog test with the lines, one was a digital test with the display. Both were NEGATIVE. She did these 20 days after the "exposure' in question, which I'm told should be plenty of time.

My question is...are any of the risk factors really risk factors, and is there anything to worry about? Also, with two tests taken, is there anything to worry about, and are there any factors that could have given a false negative both times?

Thank you very much.
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 30 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using health care magic

Though in theory it is possible for a woman to become pregnant after fingering if there is semen on the fingers, it is highly unlikely, especially if you are sure that you washed your hands. If your girlfriend is taking her birth control properly it would also significantly decrease any chances of pregnancy.

Pregnancy tests are usually 99% accurate and you are right in stating that after 20 days the test should, in most cases, have shown a positive response if there was any evidence of pregnancy.

If you remain unsure, the two of you can arrange, if possible for her to have blood taken for HCG which is the same hormone that is detected in the urine in the pregnancy tests.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Chances of getting pregnant after fingering and negative pregnancy test? 6 minutes later
Hi Doctor, thank you for your great answer. I forgot to mention that she had accidentally not taken her pill on the day in question. Should this have a grave effect on the situation? I'm told as long as it was just the one day, she shouldn't be affected.

There was only "pre cum" or preseminal fluid on my hand and while I did not wash my hands, I did wipe it off first.

With this information in mind, does your diagnosis of not to worry remain the same? What percentage would you give the likelihood that there is nothing to worry about? Thank you!

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 minutes later

If she was taking them accurately prior to this the risk is still low and wiping your hands before contact is also good and reduces the chances.

Birth control reduces the chances of pregnancy by over 99% .

With 2 neg preg test done almost 3 weeks post exposure, use of birth control and the method of interaction the chances of pregnancy are less than 1%

As stated you can consider a blood test to ease both of your minds .

Feel free to ask any other questions