Chances of getting HPV from fingering to an infected partner?

Question
Hi there - I am dating a wonderful new girl who has good morals and does not have sex etc. However, she recently revealed to me that 8 years ago she was raped and the man gave her HPV. I am unsure of the strain, but it was of the high risk category (non-wart causing). Her body cleared it on its own within 2 years and she has been tested regularly and has been diagnosed completely clean for 5 years.

I do not have sex at all (I am a virgin) either but I have fingered this girl. Given that 1.) she has not had any abnormal tests and 2.) I am not having intercourse with her, am I pretty safe in not spontaneously ending up with HPV?

Also, let's say she had it come back and I fingered her, would I still be pretty safe if I washed my hands after?

I just want to play it safe and be educated. Thank you.
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Hello
First you need to know that there are over 30-40 types of strains.Ad you know sexual transmission is the common method of transmission. Apart from sexual/anal intercourse skin to skin contact, infected hand etc can cause transmission. Washing your hands with disinfectant after touching the infected partner, before touching your own genitals will reduce the risk of transmission significantly. Condoms may not fully protect against HPV. there is a vaccine available for men. Make sure to wash you hands well after touching your partner.