Chances of getting HIV from kissing HIV positive partner?

Can you get hiv from french kissing a hiv positive girl? I been kissing her for awhile and didnt know she was. I heard u couldnt get it from that
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 11 hours later

Thank you for your query.

Practically HIV is not transmissible by kissing. HIV has to be in large amounts to get into the bloodstream to cause infection.

In saliva, you would have to drink or come in contact with a bucket of saliva with HIV in order to get enough of the virus to get an infection.

Also, the inside lining of the mouth is tough to deal with chewing, so unless there is a bleeding gum or ulcer on the mouth, and someone with HIV gets either a bucket of saliva in your mouth or bleeds in your mouth (which hopefully will not be happening), the risk is EXTREMELY low....

If you still are worried and panicking..please get an HIV test done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.

Follow-up: Chances of getting HIV from kissing HIV positive partner? 13 hours later
Its beem about 37days sinse i kissed. On the 22 day i got a real bad sinus infection and sore throat and snuffy. My temp was like 99 is this ars symptom of hiv? I did go get tested at 32days and it was neg but they said it was to early. I look on medhelp and they say you aant get hiv through french kissing
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 3 hours later

Do not get panic.

This is probably not related to HIV. It takes time for symptoms of HIV to occur.

Early HIV is detected by P24 antigen tests. Elisa tests for HIV takes at least 6 months to become positive.

It is very rare to get HIV through kissing except the conditions I have mentioned above.

So do not worry. Practice safe sex.
Follow-up: Chances of getting HIV from kissing HIV positive partner? 38 hours later
U think i be safe? I look alot on the internet and they say u cant get it and i ask a hiv expert on med help site and he said u cant get it.i just been been having alot of sore throats and now i got a yeast s infection in my groin but i been on augmentin and rocephin antibotic awhole lot my doctor said that that yeast infection came from the antibotic. Is that true?
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 5 minutes later

The chances of you getting HIV are extremely rare.

About the yeast infection, I think if you follow correct medical advice you should be safe.Get your tests done every month.
Your doctor might be right.

Kindly consult a dermatologist if the lesion persists.

Be cool and follow medical advice.
Please lead a safe life.

Follow-up: Chances of getting HIV from kissing HIV positive partner? 48 minutes later
What do u mean get test ever month? If i get tested for hiv will them antibotic efect the test? What do u think about the yeast infection
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 1 hour later

It is very, very unlikely that you may have HIV infection. A repeat test as described earlier will prove this fact and can allay all your fears about HIV.

Antibiotics have no effect on the test.

The yeast infection is a coincidence. Recurrent yeast infections in a HIV infected individuals are seen in the full blown stage of infection - a condition which produced debilitating symptoms. You don't seem to be suffering with full blown disease. Moreover HIV test are easily picked up in this stage.
So you need not worry. The yeast infections do not lead to HIV suspicion.

Follow up with your treating doctor and everything will be OK.