Chances of getting HIV after kissing with a HIV positive partner?

Jul 2012

Can yo get hiv from french kissing a hiv. positive girl? I have kissed her alot but that is all we done. I heard u cant but i was just asking
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 14 hours later
Hi there XXXXXXX
You heard correct. I understand your question is rhetoric & you need to hear it from an expert to reassure yourself. You cannot if you have intact mucous membranes. If however, there was a break in mucous membrane in your oral cavities & there was an admixture of blood or blood products, the risk would increase. In the event of such a rare instance too, the incidence of risk is less than 0.03% approximately that of a needle stick injury. Trust this clears' your doubt. In your case, rest assured you are safe. However, nothing in life is an absolute or do excercise caution & restraint & practice safe sex. Cheers & Good Luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Follow-up: Chances of getting HIV after kissing with a HIV positive partner? 37 hours later
The girl have some bad teeth and i do chew on my inside of mouth alot. I do have have one bad tooth and the back of my mouth and her teeth is bad and the front of her mouth. We do french kiss and our front of our tongue touches but nothing no deeper. Its been 42 days sinse i kissed her is that to soon to get test or should i not even get tested? I went thd medhelp web site and they u cant it at all through frenching kissing
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 4 hours later
Like i said at the outset, relax. You seem perfectly safe. However nothing in life is a certainty. But yes 42 days post-episode is a good time to check even with the simpler Elisa for HIV test (ideally six weeks post-exposure) or you could go for the PCR test which will be more specific & can be checked as early as 10days post exposure. Cheers & Godspeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD