Chances of ectopic pregnancy after having a period 2 weeks ago and 2 negative urine tests?

General Surgeon
Hi can you have an ectopic pregnancy after having a period 2 weeks ago and 2 negtative urine tests. I took the map on the 30th September and I've had a piercing pain on my right side since. I have no other pregnancy symptoms sometimes this pain does radiate to the left. I have no tenderness when pressed on. I've been to 2 doctors and both are putting it down to bowel spasms. The pain feels more in my ovaries. They have prescribed me laxatives and motilium and the pain still persists. If I exercise feel like something gonna burst until I release wind and then it subsides. It's so annoying. Can you shed some light on my situation. They have ruled out appendix due to intermittent pain and no rebound pain
Posted Fri, 23 Nov 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

If you feel this pain is in the bottom of your abdomen, and you have urine tests, abdominal ultrasound full blood work and still no diagnosis, you should visit gynecologist and have transvaginal ultrasound. Only this way you can have ovaries and uterine visualized.
If the pregnancy test is two times negative, you are not pregnant.
As such pain dose not have to be caused by ovaries or uterine, there is necessary to rule other diseases out including urinary tract stones (the pain radiates to the one side back or groin), intestines obstruction (can be associated with diarrheas or constipations, bloating, nausea), intestines inflammatory diseases.
I do not know exactly what tests has been performed (would be easier if you could attach some reports) so I will mention all necessary test: full blood work with liver and pancreas enzymes, CRP (C Reactive Protein), abdominal ultrasound, stool tests (bacterial and parasites test, fecal occult blood), urine tests.
If all this tests are negative colonoscopy and abdominal CT with contrast should be performed.
If all mentioned tests will came negative, you may be suffering from IBS. If so, next step should be Rifaximine (nonabsorbable antibiotic) therapy.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.