Chances of contracting STD after anal-oral sex?

Dermatologist
Question
Hi, I would like to know if that is easy for me to get any STDs from receiving a rim job. what' the probability of getting any STDs from that? Have you heard any case of that? Thank you. I am actually very worry about it.
If I need a test for STDs, how long should I wait after the exposure?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 3 hours later

Thank you for posting the query,

Rimming or rim job ,also known as anal-oral sex.

Well, there are lot of health related problems associated with rimming. There can be transfer of bacteria, virus, parasites from in and around anus in to the mouth.
This would include hepatitis viruses, intestinal parasites, Chlamydia infections, human papilloma virus, gonorhhea, HIV infection also , but it may not be an impossible one . Them risk would be become more if there is any abrasion in mouth or a cut or a ulcer in mouth.

Most of the screening test of STD s should be done with in 3 months of exposure. Some STDs have a short incubation period like herpes virus, but some have long one too like HIV.

I would advise you to visit a pathology dept and get all the relevant test done .This would help relieve all your apprehensions for once and for all.

I’ve personally not come across any patient solely performing rim job and have got an STD.

But this is one thing where one needs to be completely sure of and ,getting the tests done would be a good choice.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up query if any.

Dr.Bharat chawda

Follow-up: Chances of contracting STD after anal-oral sex? 2 hours later
I am sorry, Dr. I would like to know about the risk of RECEIVE a rimjob instead of performing a rimjob.

Is the chance of getting any STDs high? Have you heard any case by GETTING RIMMED?

Thank you very much for your help.

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 11 hours later
Hi!,

Thank you for writing back.

In case of receiving a rim job is concerned the chances of getting any STD is even less or very bleak.

The literature also says the same.But in medical literature ,as I had searched there is no percentage mentioned any where ,so we can assume that it is practically nil.

To become infected with HIV you must get a sufficient quantity of virus in to your body.Saliva does not contain that amount of virus in it,and thus the chance of infection becomes very bleak.It is also important that the anal canal doesn't have any erosion or abrasions at the time of receiving a rim job.

So I think you are absolutely safe ,but in case you want to remove those little doubts in your mind then ,you can get the relevant tests done at the nearest hospital.

I hope this answers your query.

Wish you good health.

Dr.Bharat chawda

Follow-up: Chances of contracting STD after anal-oral sex? 15 hours later
Hi Dr. Thank you very much for your reply.

If I want to do a STD test 5 weeks after the exposure, how accurate will the test be?

Which STDs I can stop worry if I got negative for all of them in the 5-week test?

Thank you very much for your help.

Hi!,

Thank you for writing back.

Most of the STDs(sexually transmitted disease) by now would have shown some signs and symptoms of the disease.And the tests are done accordingly to the symptoms .Since you don't have any signs now after 5 weeks ,then you should not worry about them.

Only syphilis may show symptoms as late as 90 days apart from HIV.

SO if you can get a VDRL(Venereal Disease Research Laboratory test ) & TPHA (Treponema pallidum haemagglutination )test for syphilis now and at 90 days ,that would rule out the disease.

And for HIV you can get a screening test done like ELISA test(Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay ).This test should be done at 3 months and another at 6th months after exposure,since HIV has a longer incubation period.

I hope this answers your question.
If you have any additional concerns regarding this issue I would be happy to address them.

Dr.Bharat chawda

Follow-up: Chances of contracting STD after anal-oral sex? 11 hours later
Hi Dr. I would like to know what's the chance for me to get Syphilis by RECEIVING a rimjob. I know people can get Syphilis by being a receiver; however, I would like to know the probability of the risk.

Have you hear any case of getting Syphilis by being rimmed?

I am so scared now.

Thank you for your help.

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 1 hour later
Hi again,

I have not seen any case in my 12 years of experience to have got syphilis by receiving a rim job.

The literature also doesn't talk much about it. So it would be difficult for me to give you an answer in terms of probability/percentage .
But yes, if one has erosions or ulcers in anal canal, then the possibility would increase provided the the one who is giving a rim job has syphilis.

I would advise you not to worryabout anything. Just get the relevant test done so that you get relieved off your mental tension.

I hope that this would clear all your doubts .

Wish you good health.

regards,

Dr.Bharat chawda