Chances of HIV transmission through oral sex. Should I go for hiv test?

HIV AIDS Specialist
I had unprotected oral sex with an escort five weeks back, ejaculating in her mouth. There was no vaginal touch or any other contact. The oral sex lasted about ten minutes. I have not experienced any symptoms till date, however I am concerned about the risks on STDs. What is the maximum for the symptoms to show up, if any. Do you suggest to go for testing even if there are no symptoms?
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

HIV Transmission through oral sex, especially insertive sex is very very low. The transmission rate in case of vaginal intercourse is itself around 6-10 risk per 0000 exposures as per CDC, Atlanta. Transmission through oral sex is still low.

Earliest symptoms in HIV can occur around 4 weeks after the exposure only with few people as fever, head ache, body pain, sore throat etc. In many people, symptoms can occur only after a very long period around 5-10 years.

Blood tests will become positive after 8-12 weeks after the high risk exposure if it is infectious.
Getting tested after high risk exposure and seeing the non-reactive (HIV Negative) results, one can get relieved from the immense stress or fear for HIV.

There are tests available to rule out HIV as early as 3-4 weeks after the exposure.
My advice in this regard is get yourself tested for HIV.
Good luck to you.
DR S.Murugan
Follow-up: Chances of HIV transmission through oral sex. Should I go for hiv test? 6 hours later
Hi Doc,

Thanks for your reply.

Apart from HIV test, you do not see the requirement to test for others - syphilis, et al? Or is it that since no symptoms are there for five weeks post exposure, hence we can ignore.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 12 hours later
Welcome back.

Yes, You are absolutely correct.

Transmission of other STDs through oral sex also relatively uncommon.
You are not at receiving end. So only on the basis of symptoms further tests are necessary for other STD. Otherwise not necessary.
If you have further queries I will be pleased to answer.
Dr S.Murugan