Chances of HIV infection from using common toilet seat?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Question
before 2 days when I was using the toilet of a hotel room , when my feces fell on the toilet water some drops of the water fell on the head of my penis. Then I washed the penis by water. Is there any chance of HIV infection ? sometime my semen comes out when I strain much in toilet (I cant remember on that day it came out or not). I am much worried by thinking that that toilet water my contain HIV virus from others and that may touch my semen. After sometime of this incident and after coming out of toilet and after taking my meal I masturbated. Is there any chance of HIV infection ? Please help me I am much worried.
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 6 minutes later

HIV infection is not spread by contact with water.

HIV virus can be transmitted by infected blood , needle stick injury, infected syringes, sexual route and from infected mother to child.

I hope my answer is of help to you.

Dr Shailja P Wahal

Follow-up: Chances of HIV infection from using common toilet seat? 41 minutes later
Thank U madam. But I am afraid that the water in toilet may contain HIV from others who used it just before me and the toilet water touched my semen(sometime my semen comes out during strain in toilet. I don't remember on that day it came out or not ) . Am I still at safer side ? After washing my penis by normal water and coming out of the toilet , after some time I masturbated. Please tell me whether I am in safer side or not ? Please help me. I am very much afraid.

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 14 minutes later

Thanks for writing back

If in any case, a HIV positive person had used the toilet before you, the HIV viruses would have not been excreted in the urine.

HIV virus is not excreted in urine, stools or sweat.
So, don't worry about this episode.

But be aware of the various modes of HIV spread and ways to avoid contracting the infection.

Thanks and take care.
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Follow-up: Chances of HIV infection from using common toilet seat? 9 minutes later
thank U mam I am quite aware of the modes of infection like sex with HIV person, infected needle etc. But I am much worried about this incident by thinking that if the water was infected by blood or semen of the affected person before me (although I don't know whether it was infected or not) and that infected water touched my semen. Please say me mam Am I still safe ?

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 9 minutes later

Yes, you are safe as the HIV virus is not excreted in urine or stools.

Thanks and take care.
Dr Shailja P Wahal