Chances of HIV from unprotected sex?

HIV AIDS Specialist
LAst night I had sex with guy . while inserting my dick he was feeling pain. so i withdrawn after 2-3 stroke(5-6 seconds) and saw condom was broke. what are the HIV chances ?
I asked him he said he got tested last month as negative. but still i am worried as i will be getting married soon. i want to kn0w my status ASAP

Thanks for your help doctor.
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Risk for HIV cannot be ruled out. Prefer test

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Anal sex is having little more risk for HIV than other type of sex behavior.

You had protected sex but condom broken.

Your partner experienced pain during penetration. Likely to have some other STD.

Your partner tested negative is not very important. He should have tested 3 months after his last contact. Then only the result has any value. Tested negative last month, but if he had regular contacts till last month has of no value.
So it is better for you to have tested for HIV before you get married and ascertain that you are free from HIV. You have to get tested after 3 months with Rapid or ELISA test or to have DNA PCR or P24 Antigen test after 3-4 weeks of this contact.
Risk cannot be ruled out
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Chances of HIV from unprotected sex? 29 minutes later
Thank you Dr. S. XXXXXXX

I am not getting sleep. Feeling very guilty for what i did.
Not relevant to this query but Being Bi/gay my situation is already worst and this incident making me more disturbed.

I understand that risk can not be ruled out. but could you please help me understand the risk(5 seconds also comes in high risk? are there such cases?).

The incident happened last night so I will have to wait for atleast 3 week.
Would DNA PCR be 100% confirmatory after 3 weeks? How much it costs in India -Bangalore.

Thanking you from bottom of my heart for all your personal /medical guidance here.

Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
DNA PCR at Bangalore costs Rs. 2500/

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

I can understand your concern.

Time (5 seconds) is not a matter. 5-6 strokes and the contact with blood and secretions that matters much. As it is a protected sex and broken condom, still the protection to maximum portion of your penis was there. So the chance became a little lesser than expected (around 10per 0000 exposure). So nothing to worry much.
DNA PCR will cost around INR 2500/ at Bangalore
Dr S.Murugan
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Chances of HIV from unprotected sex? 20 minutes later

Can I be sure after PCR DNA test which i will take after 3 weeks( after 20 days). it is 100% confirmatory?

Can i be assure if found negative after this test in Bangalore to make any decision for my life?

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
HIV DNA PCR is highly reliable than Rapid test

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

HIV DNA PCR is highly reliable and almost 100% sure about the HIV status.
If it is negative after 3 weeks that itself assures you that you are absolutely safe and HIV free. Definitely you can go ahead with your decsion and get married.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Chances of HIV from unprotected sex? 12 minutes later
Thanks again.

I was reading some blogs on internet.

Should I go for PrEP /PEP (based on 5-6 seconds of penetration AND 2-3 stroke ? as It is still 24 hours from the incident.

If you suggest thn

How much time it will take
After completing the course , Can I immediately fo for PCR DNA for assurance? If not what is the time period .

I may be asking too many questions but i hope you understand me and bless with your guidance.

Many Regards
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
PEP USEFUL. PCR After 3-4 weeks more confirmatory

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back.

PEP CAN PREFERABLY BE TAKEN AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE. It can be taken upto 48-72 hours. So PEP will be of use to you. It has to be taken as three drug combination for not less than 4 weeks. DNA PCR will be valuable after a week. More confirmatory after 3-4 weeks.
Preferable PEP with Tenofovir+ Lamivudine/Emtricitacibine+Lopinavir/ritonovir Combination for 4 weeks preferable. PCR will be more confirmatory after 3-4 weeks after exposure.
Dr S.Murugan