Ask a Urologist   »  

Chafing on the underside of penis, redness, rash, scars, skin peeling, pain post sex. Is it an STD?

Question
I believe i have chafing on the underside of penis shaft but how do i know if its chafing and not an std? Its red and looks like a rash almost scar looking. Hurts only after sex. If i let heal for a couple days the skin peels like a sunburn. How to heal also?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 30 minutes later

Thank you for posting in your query.

I gather from your question that you have been having an irritation, redness like a rash on the underside of your penis. Also that the skin shows peeling.

Your main concern is that this being an STD.

Irritation, redness, peeling of the skin could be due to any of the following reasons:
1. Infections.
2. STDs.
3. Dermatitis due to any irritant.
4. Any eczema.

Following questions will help to sort your symptoms better.

A. Are you having any urinary symptoms like burning/frequency/urgency?
B. Are you having any discharge/swelling/ulcers on your penis?
C. Have you had any unprotected sex in the recent past?
D. Have you changed your perfume/detergent/inner clothing/spermicidal jellies?

It would be advisable to go visit your barrier contraception like condoms.
2. Drinking atleast 2 litres of water each day.
3. To maintain adequate hygiene and keep the area dry.
4. A topical or oral antibiotic/ anti fungal depending on the diagnosis made by your Primary Care Physician.
5. An anti-allergen may help to reduce the itching if any.

Hope I have answered your query. Please do revert if you have any further queries. please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Follow-up: Chafing on the underside of penis, redness, rash, scars, skin peeling, pain post sex. Is it an STD? 8 hours later
I dont have any urinary problems. No discharge. The rash or whatever swells up after sex (irritation). Yes sex is unprotected but with same partner all year and she has no symptoms of any. No change in detergents or perfumes of any. If it is just chaffing and irritation what over the counter ointment would you suggest?

Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 32 hours later

Thank you for the follow up question.

You could use an emollient like petroleum jelly to see it the skin peeling reduces.

If it persists, a physical examination would be required to ascertain the diagnosis. Thus if the problem persists, I would advise you to see your primary care physician and get yourself evaluated.

Hope I have answered your query,

Dr Gowri