Cervical spinal stenosies with mylopathy. Cannot walk without support, over weight. Can it be treated non-surgically?

Spine Surgeon
Question
can cervical spinal stenosies with mylopathy can be treated non surgically in 58 years of age?
he is unable to walk without support and do not want to undergo surgery...so it is not the option for us..pls advise...we have attached mri reports..
also there is problem in finger gripping..for example difficulty in eating via hands ,combing...right now he is taking psyiotherphy.problem in walking and eating via hands only from last 30 days.as the surgical option is risky because he is overweight and cannot bear rehabilitation after surgery so what u suggest...
also suggest where is the best treatment option for this in india and in abroad...
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Stroke

Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 19 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
I understand your concern.
First of all, non operative treatment rarely helps in cervical stenosis with myelopathy. Even delayed surgery may not help in good recovery as the injury to the spinal cord becomes irreversible. Hence I suggest the same.
An age of 58 and being overweight are not contraindications for surgery.
This surgery is routinely done in all cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Cochin.
I hope I have addressed your concerns.

Follow-up: Cervical spinal stenosies with mylopathy. Cannot walk without support, over weight. Can it be treated non-surgically? 1 hour later
THANKS ! HAVE U CHECKED THE REPORTS?PLS TELL ME HOW SWERE IS THE PROBLEM.
I HAVE ATTACHED THE REPORTS ALSO..

Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 10 hours later

Thanks again.

I had already checked the reports. In fact it says "cord oedema and myelopathy" which is suggestive of severe involvement of the spinal cord. That's why I suggested even delaying the treatment may result in incomplete recovery.

Myelopathy is the irreversible damage that occurs to spinal cord due to disc pressing against the delicate nerve fibres of the spinal cord. Oedema / swelling accompanies the compression.

So I suggest you try to convince your father that delay may result in irreversible recovery with worsening of his condition.

Hope my answer is both informative and useful.

Wish your father speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Cervical spinal stenosies with mylopathy. Cannot walk without support, over weight. Can it be treated non-surgically? 6 hours later
could u suggest best hospital for this in delhi?
i am cosindering indian spinal injuies center..
pls advise..

Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 17 minutes later
Hi again,

You could consult Dr. Chabbra at Indian Spine Injury Centre.

Hope I have been helpful. Please accept my answer and close the discussion if all your queries are answered. If you wish me to answer in future, you can post your query on this forum to my attention, "Attn: Dr. Krishna Kumar".

All the Best