Cervical polyp removed. Having pain and started bleeding. Should I consult a doctor?

Hi, I had a cervical polyp removed yesterday. (24 hours ago). There was a little bleeding and cramping yesterday but today the bleeding and cramping is worse. I am post-menopausal so this can't be period bleeding. I have phoned the gynaecologist's office but he is gone for the weekend. Do I need to visit an emergency room? If not, any advice on pain relief/treatment?
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 21 minutes later
The reason behind the bleeding could be either incomplete removal of the polyp,or intrauterine or local due to trauma/infection. Since the removal was done so recently,im assuming trauma or incomplete removal may be the cause. Continuous bleeding definitely should be examined by a doctor. If you are having just spotting,then you can wait till your doctor's office opens up. But in case of heavy bleeding or pain,you need to see an emergency doctor.
If by chance a D/C was also done,then some bleeding is normal. But in case of a polyp removal only,there should be minimal bleeding.
You can take tranexemic acid/ethamsylate tabs thrice a day.Ibuprofen /diclofenac will help in case of pain.