Cervical polyp, fibroids, taken HCG diet, using Vagifem. Are the recurrence of polyps and the HCG diet connected?

I did 3 cycles of the hcg diet from April - October 2011, and at my latest well woman checkup in December 2011, my doctor told me that I now have a cervical polyp and 3 fibroids, which he attributed to the hcg protocol. He put me on Vagifem to strengthen my vaginal wall and at my follow up, he told me that the polyp had grown quite a bit and has scheduled me for surgery to remove the polyp. A bit of history, I had fibroid surgery in 2004 with no recurrence until this exam & 2 years ago had a small polyp removed. Are the recurrence of the polyps/fibroids and the hcg diet connected? I would like to go back on the protocol because it worked for me, but this news has made me very nervous. Any information you can provide on this subject is greatly appreciated.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 28 minutes later

HCG is after all a hormone and will tend to have some effect on the body. However, in the doses that are used in the diet, its unlikely that it will be a factor in the growth of fibroid.

The only connection here is the fact that fibroids are estrogen dependent tumours and if there is excess hormone in the system that may be a cause for the growth of these tumors.

At the age of 46, just before you achieve menopause, hormone levels in the body are at a high and hence, maximum cases are seen in this age range. Personally, I don't feel that the hcg should have any effect as mentioned if the doses are taken properly.

The cervical polyp may be removed if symptomatic. Recurrence in fibroids is also not uncommon.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.