Cervical compression, losing strength in hands and tightness in forearms, slated for surgery. Worried about helplessness.

I have a cervical compression of c3 - c7 I am slated for surgery. However Work comp is holding things up. I an losing my strength in both hands and tightness in my forearms. Mostly in my right forearm. I am getting worried that it will get to the point where I cant care for myself. I am only 49..
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 6 hours later
Hello and Thanks for the query

Regrading cervical compression it can cause reduced blood supply to the underlying and surrounding neurons and cause death of them slowly. Preferred thing is to do the surgery as early as possible.

But if things are holding on then you can prevent further damage by wearing a cervical collar, avoid lifting weights and using a high pillow. Continue on physiotherapy to prevent wasting and contractures.

Other wise surgery is safe in good hands. So i personally feel you should get your surgery done as early as possible as damage to the neurons are irreversible.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative.

If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Take care, Bye