Cellulitis boil,red,swollen,antibiotics

My 4 year old daughter has a Cellulitis Boil on her inner thigh. She has had it for about six days and her doctor prescribed antibiotics yesterday. It has popped but it's still red and swollen. Is it safe for her to swim in a public salt water pool? Is there any danger to her or others if she were to go swimming?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
A celllulitis boil that has already popped up means all the pus and debris has been removed.
A reddish base is a sign of good healing. Better the blood supply, earlier will be the healing.
Right now I will not recommend her to go to a public salt water swimming pool as the skin is still sore and the salt water might damage the area and there is every chance of getting a superadded infection on the exposed wound.
You should keep the area clean and dry for earlier healing.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Follow-up: Cellulitis boil,red,swollen,antibiotics 3 hours later
If I understood your response correctly, I should not let my daughter swim. How long until she can resume swimming in a pool? Thank you....
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.

Yes, she should avoid swimming in the pool until her lesions heal so that the wound is closed and the chances of infection are decreased.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.