Cells in retina deteriorating, very dry eyes, contact lenses suffocating eyes. Can contacts cause this?

I was recently told by an opthamologist that some of the cells in each of my retinas had deteriorated. Apparently, you are supposed to have 3,000 in each eye and I had about 2,500 per eye. She said the reason for the deterioration was because I have very dry eyes and my contact lenses were in essence "suffocating" my eyes. She said I could no longer wear my contacts. Is this true that my contacts could have caused this?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 9 hours later

Thanks for sending your query.

Primarily cells in retina are not affected by contact lenses. The 3000 count may be endothelial cell count, which is at the back of cornea, which is measured by specular microscopy. This count again is not affected by contact lens wear, as contact lenses effect the epithelium only, which is the outermost covering of the eye.

In case I am right about my interpretation, to help the situation you can go for another contact lens with better fitting. Well fitting contact lenses have a very minimal sliding over the cornea with every blink, more so with soft contact lenses.

All good quality contact lenses allow the cornea to breath just to take care of this situation, soft or gas permeable.

Since a doubt has been raised you can have a change of contact lens and there are no medications for this situation.

Please do get back to me in case of any problem. Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.