Celiac, suffering with buttock, leg, back and thigh pain and constipation. Could it be related?

General Surgeon
I am having buttock, leg, and back thigh pain, similar to sciatica, but on both sides. I'm also fairly constipated. I'm a celiac and have issues being constipated at times. Do you think the pain that is radiating down my legs is related to constipation? I haven't slept well in two nights because of the constant pain in my hips/legs. I have taken fiber, prunes, and stool softeners without much relief. I just took senna tea to try to get things moving, but no luck yet.
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 18 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Leg pain, back pain and buttock pain does not seem to be caused by constipation. It is hardly possible.
If you have had sciatica before, the pain can be caused by it. Such pain can be on both sides when the source of it is above the level of nerves division (to the right and left). And as nerves are getting out from spinal cord, spine disc herniation on some levels can give such symptom. You may also suffer from tingling, numbness of your legs.

Sometimes such pain on both sides can be caused by ions deficiency (what can happen with celiac disease). If the Calcium and Magnesium level decreases, nerves get more irritable.

If it is about your constipation, you should be aware of bowels obstruction. Sometimes there is a tiny border between these two conditions. Moreover, constipation can cause bowels obstruction. In some cases, bowels obstruction can lead to decreased water absorption. This leads to dehydration, low urine amount and can cause kidneys infection. And kidney infection can give back pain radiating to lower abdomen and legs. However with kidneys infection you should also have burning while urinating and frequent urinating.

It seems that some diagnostics is necessary. First you should rule out bowels obstruction. To do that, abdominal X-ray should be done. Blood work, urine analysis, ions levels should be also checked. For spine problem you should visit orthopedist and have physical examination. MRI should be done if disc herniation is possible.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Celiac, suffering with buttock, leg, back and thigh pain and constipation. Could it be related? 1 hour later
Although I've had sciatica before, only on one side (left). This pain seems slightly different in that it is unrelenting, there are no comfortable positions, just constant dull aching pain, in buttocks/back of thighs. I have also had kidney infections prior to this, that is also not this type of pain. Plus my urine output is perfect, with no pressure or burning.

Can you please describe in more detail other "Ion deficient" symptoms?

I have my celiac under control well, my numbers are very good. I eat all organic, whole foods cooked by myself in a completely gluten free kitchen, with no risk for cross contamination. I have not eaten anything in a restaurant or outside my own home for almost a year now. I eat a very healthy diet, no junk foods, soy, or sugar. And very limited caffeine, dairy products due to sensitivities.
I regularly take magnesium (300-600mg) on a nightly basis to help me sleep, along with melatonin. I also take calcium, vit b12, fish oil and d3 on a regular basis as well. I take no over the counter meds at all.
This started quite suddenly the other night, after straining to have a bowel movement, so that's why I think it might have been related to constipation, as the pain has grown worse over the last two days with no bowel movements.
Thank you for your help!
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Well, spine disc herniation does not have to give similar to sciatica symptoms. It can be quite different pain as the level and nerves branches which are compressed can be different. There is really not much diseases which can cause pain in both legs.

Ion deficiency can have different symptoms depending of what kind of ion is missing. Low calcium level can cause muscles spasm, paresthesia. Magnesium deficiency will cause nervousness, muscle tremors, tingling and paresthesis as well.

However as you have all this ions supplementation, it makes it less possible.

Constipation does not have to be related with celiac disease. It is not caused by bad diet either (as yours seems very healthy). At your age, the risk of large intestine diseases significantly rises and may be legs pain is caused by it at your case (if you are certain that spine is not a problem).

You should definitely diagnose your constipation. Mentioned tests should be done and if nothing will be found, colonoscopy should be considered.

Hope this will help.