Ask a Dentist   »  

Cavity in upper right wisdom tooth. Dr advises RCT or removal. Need second opinion

I have a cavity in my upper right wisdom tooth. The dentist has recommened me to pull it out or root canal. My age is 48 yrs, I would like to have other openion.

Posted Wed, 18 Jul 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 10 hours later

Thanks for writing in,

If you can provide me some more additional details, I will be in a better position to guide you.
1. Have you undergone X-ray of that tooth? If yes, please upload the scanned images / reports here using the upload feature available on this page.
2. Is there pain / associated in that region? Is your mouth smelling foul?
3. Are you running fever?
4. Are you taking any medications currently?

I will be able to provide a better opinion with these details.

Awaiting your reply

Dr.Gunjan Gupta
Follow-up: Cavity in upper right wisdom tooth. Dr advises RCT or removal. Need second opinion 48 minutes later

Following are my answer;

1. I have already X-ray and will upload the same on Monday.

2. The pain has happened only 3 times. First Two times on Saturday and third times on Tuesday. There is no smell.

3. I do not have any fever.

4. Currently am not taking any medicine.

Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 17 minutes later

Thanks again.

If you are asymptomatic now, we can wait for now.

However I would like to review the X-ray orthopantomogram to look at the position and direction of wisdom tooth. This will help in deciding whether or not you need tooth extraction.

You may have had developed pain due to infection which is better now. Pain killers can be repeated if pain recurs.

Do upload that x-ray by clicking on the option given to the right side 'upload the details'; I will be available to provide you the opinion based on that.

I await your response and in the meantime hope you do well!

Dr.Gunjan Gupta