Causes of Proteus Mirabilis in vagina?

Please can you tell me what causes Proteus Mirabilis in the Vagina ?
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 41 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

This family of bacteria is most commonly found in the intestinal tract as part of the normal bacterial flora. It is commonly associated with like other intestinal bacteria E coli.
The reason that intestinal bacteria are associated with urinary tract infections is due to the proximity of the anal opening to the vagina and urethra which is the passage way through which urine leaves the body.

The same way the urinary tract infections can occur with this bacteria because of contamination from the anus , the bacteria can also be subsequently found the vagina area though this is a lot less common.

I hope this helps,feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Causes of Proteus Mirabilis in vagina? 1 hour later
Thank you very much for your reply.

My reason for asking is that I am and have always been totally careful about seperating the cleansing of the anus and uretha/vagina area. Impossible to be more careful.

So how else could Proteus Mirabilis get into the vagina?

Many thanks Doctor.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 hours later

This particular bacteria though it is most commonly found in the intestine , has also been found in multiple environmental habitats, in rare instances it can be found in the soil, water and also on the skin and oral mucosa of some persons but this usually involves hospital personnel.

These are the only sources of contamination known at present, it is not considered a sexually transmitted infection and not thought to be transmitted in this fashion.
Hope this helps you, please feel free to ask any additional questions
Follow-up: Causes of Proteus Mirabilis in vagina? 3 days later
Dear Doctor,
Thank you for your further reply.

I really have two things worrying me over this,
1. Could I have a fissure between anus and vagina through which it passes.
2. Could it be to do with my immune system problem ( vitiligo).

This will be my last question and I greatly appreciate your help.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
HI, you can ask as many questions as you wish

A fissure is a tear and would be painful, you would know that it is present because of the degree of pain associated with it

A fistula is a connection between two spaces such as the anus and the vaginal area. Usually persons with anal fistulas would complain of leakage of foul smelling discharge from the vagina but this may not happen in everyone. If you suspect this, it would have to be confirmed by a general surgeon.

It is not likely related to the immune system. The immune system plays a part in some infections by allowing resident bacteria to multiply extensively within their normal area. Proteus is normally within the intestine and in conditions of impaired immunity would have multiplied in the intestines, it would not explain its spread to the genital tract.