Causes for wounds that dont heal?

I have 2 leg wounds from an injury which are not healing normally. I had a Glucose Sugar Blood Test = 97. The nurses asked if I am Diabetic. Eat Healthy and weigh 78 Kilos Go to Exercise at Gym 5 times a week
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer....given below Detailed answer... Hello, Thanks for the query. I can understand your anxiety over this issue.There can be various causes for non healing of wound.Normally a wound heals in three weeks time but some times it may take much longer. Although you are active,doing exercises and not overweight but still there may be various other factors causing delayed healing. Factors responsible for delayed healing are old age,diabetes,local infection,obesity,use of certain medications,alcoholism,smoking,anemia,peripheral vascular disease etc. I would advise you to get your blood sugar tested by getting fasting as well as PP sugar estimation done and consult a surgeon for thorough examination of wound and getting a culture of pus,if present. Although you don't seem to be diabetic but still your sugar levels must be tested properly. Proper wound dressing with appropriate antibiotics and good nutrition and addressing any particular identifiable cause should make your wound heal quickly. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks