Causes for stomach infection after a flu

Dec 2012

Had the flu Dec 26th and my stomach was fine. About a week later, started to get cramping and loose stools. Almost a month later and still a bit constipated and occasionally flaky stools.
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Probably irritable bowel syndrome Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Thanks for posting your query, I am pleased to be able to assist you. It is clear that you are having a stomach upset which could be as a result of one of a multiple of factors that can lead to such symptoms. These factors range from infection, autoimmune diseases, allergy, food poisoning, irritable bowel syndrome etc. With most patients that I manage who come with such symptoms, the first thing I do is to rule out the most common microbes that maybe responsible (and in most of the cases, I will find one cause responsible). The most common microbes could be bacteria, virus, fungi, parasite, protozoa/amoeba, salmonella etc. If these are not found during a stool analysis, this probably means that another cause is responsible. Most of the times, microbes are responsible for enterocolitis such as you are presenting. If I have ruled out infection, I will then rule each possible cause one after another until I identify the cause. I know I am only speaking broadly, but that is simply because your symptoms are actually unspecific to any particular diseases. What you should do now is seek for effective medical attention and if possible with a gastroenterologist. Antibiotics such as ciprofloxacin, metronidazole, norfloxacin etc are usually very effective against most intestinal pathogenic microbes. Irritable bowel syndrome should be allowed for exclusion purposes only i.e if all other factors are excluded. It is a diseases with no known actual cause and can become great trouble throughout the rest of your existence. Some medications are known to work effectively together with a proper diet plan. Hope this helps and please feel free to contact me. Dr. Nsah