Causes for recurring hard bump on the forehead?

ENT Specialist
what could be the cause of a recurring hard bump on the forehead that appears for no reason and leaves within a day?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 26 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. You should have a plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) Scan when the swelling is there. Contrast may be required along with a Cisternography.

2. Is it in the center or on one side? Does it coincide with the head injury area? How long has it been recurring? Did you have a cold or sinusitis before it first appeared. Is the skin overlying it clear? Does it reappear at the same spot? Can you share a close up image?

3. It may be a cyst communicating with the nasal cavity, orbit or sinuses. This may contain air, fluid, pus, blood and some times CSF (Cerebro-Spinal Fluid). A vascular growth may recur. A Pott's Puffy Tumor should be ruled out. Other types of growths such as dermoids epidermoid cysts, lipomas and tumors usually do not subside.

4. If you do not want to scan immediately, get it examined by a local doctor. Sinus X-rays and Ultrasound are other alternatives while the swelling is present. An MRI with contrast.may also be done later.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.