Ask a Dentist   »  

Causes for orange coating on tongue when having denture inplants?

Question
I HAVE AN ORANGE COATING ON MY TONGUE I HAVE DENTURES THAT ARE IN PLANTS THAT I CAN TAKE OUT. I SEEN MY DR. AND HE SAID IT COULD BE THAT I DRINK COFFEE BUT I ONLY DRINK ONE CUP OF COFFEE A DAY AND ONLY IN THE WINTER TIME PLEASE HELP ME
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Could be mycotic infection Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome. Thanks for sharing your concern. Please answer the following questions to suggest better in this regard. 1.Since how long are you wearing your dentures?Is it complete denture or partial denture? 2.Do you find any discomfort while using these dentures like soreness or occasional bleeding? 3.when did you get your blood sugar examined last? 4. Are you on any other medical drugs apart from levothyroxin? 5.Since how long you have this pigmentation on tongue and can you please briefly describe its extent? Awaiting your response. Thanks. Take care.

Follow-up: Causes for orange coating on tongue when having denture inplants? 22 hours later
ans. to #1 question: since 1985 #2 question : no #3 question:7-10-13 #4 question :omeprazole -20mg #5 question :since Nov.22 2013, the orange extends from the back of my tongue to the front and the width is wider in the back and comes to a point like a v in the front. Is this curable?

Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Pigmentation due to bacterial origin Detailed Answer: Hello and thanks for reply. It is very nice to know the desired details. Based upon the details provided to me I can say that the orange pigmentation on your tongue could be due to temporary bacterial accumulation or due to dentures itself. As you are a denture bearer, it becomes difficult to cleanse all the areas completely.Please remember the denture itself can harbor many micro organisms upon prolonged usage. Please follow this simple remedy for a week and look for results else it requires a visit to prosthodontist(specialist in dentures). Use Hexidine mouth wash 0.2% once daily after dinner for 15 days and look for results. you can also apply Triamcinolone acetonide0.1% oral paste locally on the tongue for a week and it should help. For any further doubts please let me know. Thanks. Take care.