Cause of sudden black stools with foul smell and gas?
User rating for this question
The last three bowel movements I've had have been very very dark if not black. The smell has been quite bad and the third day I lots of gas. What would cause this all of a sudden?
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Black stool (like a tar) is usually caused by bleeding from peptic ulcer. You should also notice upper middle abdominal pain and nausea. The skin can get pale, heart rate increases (over 100). If any of this symptoms are present, please contact your doctor as soon as possible. Gastroscopy should be done right away. Dark stool can also appear due to Iron supplements intake. If the stool is dark but not black, constipation, bacterial infection, hypothyroidism, medicines (ca-blockers, antidepressants) or even colon cancer can cause such symptoms. In such case, you should have stool test, thyroid tests and get scheduled for colonoscopy (it is necessary to rule out colon cancer). Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: Cause of sudden black stools with foul smell and gas? 2 minutes later
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 18 minutes later
People also viewed
- Inner knee bug bite
- How should dronis be taken
- Bug bite is red and hard
- How does smoking contribute to the development of osteoporosis
- Exsessive gas and black stools
- What causes absence of periods after a medical abortion
- What causes dehydrationconstipationbody ache and cysts in breast
- Smelly gas black stool
- Bug bites that last months
- What is the cause and treatment for persistent headaches
- Health care magic dog bite
- Cause of sudden black stools with foul smell and gas
- Black stool no smell
- What doctor treats bug bites
- Black stool chlorine smell