Cause of stomach pain, vomiting despite normal USG and X-ray results?

General Surgeon
Recently I had severe stomachache, twice in last 2 months.First time it lasted for 3 -4 days and I felt discomfort in even body movement .It started with pain and vomiting . Second time it started with same pain and vomiting and lasted for 1 day. I paid a visit to doctor and accorrding to him there was was a problem with my digestive rhythm.Doctor had done physical examination ,checked my Ultrasound and X-ray(for blockage in intestine) reports and all were normal.I generally do not eat out or smoke or consume alcohol ,drink a lot of water ,have a balanced diet and do not have problem of constipation or indigestion.I find my problem to be mysterious and frightening as the pain becomes unbearable .Even pain killer stop to work and have to use injections.Can you throw some light on what might be the problem.
Posted Sun, 16 Mar 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: there are three possibilities Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to HCM. This is Dr. Ashish Verma, a general surgeon, answering to your query. Sudden severe pain in abdomen with vomiting is seen only a few conditions... like gastritis, pancreatitis and ureter stone. In ureter stone, apart from the above symptoms, you may also have burning sensation during urination and/or blood in urine...which you dont have...also your usg is normal... so that is ruled out. Gastritis and pancreatitis have normal usg and xray....but pancreatitis may also have pain in also...and to distinguish between the two you need to have a few blood tests like serum amylase and serum lipase....they are increased in pancreatitis. Also gastritis will get controlled by ppi drugs like pantaprazole. So hoping that now you can tell what is like your case. Regards Dr. Ashish Verma