Cause of residual pain under shoulder blades after falling on ice?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I fell on ice 2 months ago and still have residual pain under my shoulder blades. The pain comes and goes, and is especially noticeable when I'm active. What could this be? Thanks I forgot to mention that I landed on my back.
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Muscular or ligamentous strain Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. From description , it seems you might developed muscular or ligamentous strain over back and shoulder blade area. Now after 2 months if pain persists, I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may get the MRI of the area affected under his/her guidance. Meanwhile following measures will help with the pain • Lie on a hard bed. • Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required • Avoid forward bending. • Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights. • Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care