Cause of low white blood cell count? Do not feel sick

what can be the cause of my low white blood cell count? my count is 2.6, lymphocytes is 56.0 neutrophils 27.0 abs neutrophils is 0.7 but i feel no sickness.
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 hours later
Your white cells (particularly neutrophils) are indeed low. You said you don't feel any sickness, then why was this done? As a routine investigation? What about your hemoglobin and platelet counts?

There are various causes of this, like viral infections, some drugs, congenital, decreased production by marrow and various other blood disorders. These need to be excluded one by one. If this persists for some weeks then a bone marrow examination may be required.

I will be available to answer further follow-up queries, if any.
Follow-up: Cause of low white blood cell count? Do not feel sick 10 hours later
this was done for a routine physical with my job. im a correctional officer. I work over night and its a very stressful work environment. my platelet count is 205 and my hemoglobin is 15.1
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 6 minutes later
ok hb and platelets look fine. I don't think it is due to stress. maybe after some viral infection or any medicines taken initially. Otherwise you can wait 1 week and repeat the test again. if it is still low, then further investigations may be required.
Follow-up: Cause of low white blood cell count? Do not feel sick 7 minutes later
I had an mri done april 1, 2013 on my shoulder then surgery was done april 15, 2013 for a labral tare. I didn't take any meds after the surgery. I dealt with the pain.
it appears that infection and drugs are almost ruled out. Do you have any family history of similar problems? I would strongly suspect familial neutropenia if this persists over a period of time. You need to get in touch with a hematologist to proceed further.