Cause of hard and painful knot on finger?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
My finger has a hard knot on it and I can press and rub on it and it will soften up but it will not go away. It just throbs. What can it be. I have tried to stick a pin in it and drain it, but it nothing ever comes out
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 4 hours later
Brief Answer: hi and welcome to hcm Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. I d like to see photo of it but it sounds like ganglion cyst which is common in this finger area and it is fluid filled cyst made of fibrous capsule. Other possible causes are fibroma,lipoma or ateroma. In every case it can be surgically removed under local anasthesia and it rarely disappear spontaneously. You should not pin it or do removal by yourself. Wish you good health.feel free to ask. Regards
Follow-up: Cause of hard and painful knot on finger? 3 hours later
I can send you a photo of the finger if you want.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 45 hours later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: As I can see this is swelling of proximall iterphalangeal joint and there is slight redness around it so it indicates inflammation. It can be part of any type of arhritis or inflamation of joint bursa. so you should do Xrays to rule this out. Also,take nonsteroid antiinflamamtory medicines,rest, and put ice compresses on it. If swelling progresses,then surgical drainage and immobilisation may be necessary.