Cause for semen flowing back after intercourse?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
hi,just want to know what could be the cause of sperm flowing back after intercourse,i married as a virgin was thinking may be the hymen is nt well broken but its been six months now yet it keeps coming back
Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

Back flow of semen following intercourse is quite normal thing and it occurs mostly due to liquefaction of semen (change in consistency) with time after ejaculation. Partial broken hymen is not the actual cause.

Other reasons are 1) partner's large amount of ejaculation following abstinence for few days 2) more watery ejaculation state 3) increased cervical or vaginal secretion following your highly aroused state 4) increased vaginal temperature (with infection) or closed cervical os etc.

This type of back flow of semen does not impact on your chances of conception in any way. You need not to be worried regarding this. Just enjoy your normal sex life.

You can opt for some measures like lifting your hips or taking a pillow behind buttock after his ejaculation which may prevent back flow to some extent. Maintain your genital hygiene before and after each sexual activity.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you have any other query, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen