Cause and treatment of torticollis in a baby?

Cause and treatment of torticollis in a baby
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later

Torticollis is nothing but lateral flexion of the neck and most commonly having a contracture

There are various causes for torticollis in an infant some of the common causes are

1. Trauma during birth especially when instruments are used during a normal vaginal delivery
2. Intrauterine malposition of the infant
3. Tumours in the sternocleidomastoid (muscle of the neck) and tumours encroaching upon it
4. Bigger children can develop torticollis because of ophthalmological causes such as 3rd or 4th nerve injury

Treatment would be based on what exactly is causing the torticollis some of the common practices used are

1. Exercises of the neck
2. Release of contracture by surgery
3. Passive stretching and positioning of the neck under physiotherapist's guidance gives goodresults in infants. (please do not try this without speaking to your doctor as neck contains several sensitive nerves and vessels)
4. Medicines which cause muscle relaxation such as baclofen help to some extent

I hope I have answered your query, if you have no further queries please accept my answer

I wish your son good health