Cause and treatment for pseudomonas sinus infection

ENT Specialist
How concerned should I be about pseudomonas sinus infection that seems nearly impossible to clear? First cultured about 10 years ago with MRSA and resistant strep. These resulted in extremely XXXXXXX pneumonia twice, other pneumonias not as serious. My chest is clear now, but I've been on antibiotics, the few I can take, including IV, since October and still strong symptoms with positive cultures for pseudomonas and another gram negative bacteria. Recommended antibiotics? Thank you so much.
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: get culture sensitivity done Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for query. Pseudomonas and gram negative infection can get difficult to erradicate. Use of specific antibiotics based on culture sensitivity is the only way recommended and should be used to avoid multi drug resistance. Please consult a pulmonary medicine or ENT & get it done. Regards
Follow-up: Cause and treatment for pseudomonas sinus infection 26 minutes later
Yes, I am seeing both a pulmonary physician and an infectious disease specialist, both new since I've moved. ENTs don't want to touch it. Cultures done but I will check about sensitivity. I'm really asking how hard I should push for immediate or continued treatment or for consideration of my history. E.g., getting IV levaquin now, but I know it is unlikely to work anymore from experience. Is this kind of infection something I can safely" let go" if it remains in my sinuses? How XXXXXXX is it? I know it's XXXXXXX in my lungs. You may not be able to answer, I know. Just thought I'd try. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 6 hours later
Brief Answer: An ENT opinion for sinus infection needed Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. Pseudomonas infection in the sinuses if producing any symptoms of sinusitis will require a antibiotic treatment as you already had along with some measures to keep the sinuses ventilated. These include nasal decongestants and mucolytics as well ventilated sinuses harbour less of infection. An ENT is the best person to plan this treatment for sinuses even if a medical only treatment is required. Also culture from the sinuses/meatuses will be taken by an ENT. How XXXXXXX is the sinus infection is a difficult quest to answer. It depends upon the symptoms and the CT para nasal sinus findings which will show whether the drainage pathways from the sinuses are patent. If it is patent and not producing symptoms, the continuous use of antibiotics is not really warranted. If there is blockade in the sinus drainage pathways, there need to see an ENT is all the more there and antibiotic treatment along with some intervention to drain the sinuses is required. How hard should you push will be depending upon symptoms. Still the golden word in such infections is specific antibiotics based on culture and sensitivity findings. If a culture has been done, sensitivity must have also been done and will tell you about the specific antibiotic. Feel free to ask another query. Regards