Cause and treatment for hemorrhoids

I had noticed a small pimple like lump on my anal opening (outside) having size of about a small pea seed. Initially, i had experienced rectal bleeding with pain but now there is no bleeding. However, mild discomfort or pain is experienced some times due to the same. I also like to mention that before noticing the lump i had constipation for 2-3 days. Due to this, now i had started taking more & more fluids with water. I had also applied a haemorrhoidal cream for 2 days during bleeding. Apart from this, i am not facing any problems. Now, the bowel movements are o.k. and there is no constipation. Kindly, let me know the seriousness of the same and if any medication is required the same may also be mentioned.
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Piles is a minor problem. No treatment required Detailed Answer: Hi friend, Thanks for your query. Your symptoms suggest that the lump is a hemorrhoid (pile), which comes out of the anal canal, whenever increased pressure is applied to expel the hard stools (in constipation). Please note that the pile will NOT reduce in size or disappear. Piles, without any symptoms, is not a reason to concerned about. Likely complications :- * Bleeding from the piles : Bleeding will occur in case of chronic constipation. * Infection of the piles : Bacterial infection is likely to occur following bruising of the delicate wall of the piles. Hard stools result in bruising. Precautions :- Avoid constipation at all cost. Eat high fiber diet and drink plenty of fluids daily. Medication/treatment :- * NO medication is required at present, as you have no problems. * In case of a bleed, apply anti-hemorrhoidal jelly for a week or so; relieve constipation (if present). * In case of infection (with or without bleeding), a short course of oral antibiotics; application of anti-hemorrhoidal jelly will suffice. * Whenever constipation occurs, take Isabgol husk daily at bedtime till constipation is relieved. * There is no treatment for the mild discomfort. Push the pile inside the anus whenever it comes out. NO OTHER PRECAUTIONS ARE REQUIRED. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: Cause and treatment for hemorrhoids 9 minutes later
Sir, First of all I would like to thank you for giving such a detailed description and advise regarding the query raised by me. You have mentioned that - "Please note that the pile will NOT reduce in size or disappear" Does that mean it will be there for lifelong now. And, in case, i get infection (for any reason) could you please let me know the name of some antibiotics... that can help me in relieving the situation. Can application of cream help in removal of this, if yes, kindly indicate the name of the cream. Further, it is quite awkward to have such problem all of a sudden without family history. Can this be a 'anal wort'
Brief Answer: Surgical treatment is the only remedy Detailed Answer: Hemorrhoids are swollen veins located around the anus or in the lower rectum There are two types of hemorrhoids, internal and external. Internal hemorrhoids develop within the anus; external hemorrhoids develop outside of the anus, AS IN YOUR CASE. External hemorrhoids (containing blood) remain dilated due to kinking by the tight anal sphincter. It can reduce in size, provided it remains INSIDE the anal canal. However, it is NOT possible to push it inside every time it comes out. For this reason, it will neither reduce in size, nor will application of cream eradicate it. Surgical removal is the only answer. A 5-7 days' course of Doxycycline will suffice whenever the pile gets infected. Lastly, it is NOT an anal wart. Take care, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal