Cause and treatment for digestive tract problem

Dec 2012

27 year old male, rapid weight loss 12 weeks was over 20 kg, high lipase, high white cell count, high bilirubin, fatigue, diarrhea at least 6 times a day, 24 hr sample noted high fat, loose, watery,, abdominal pains mainly left side, dry mouth, hip pains,
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Obviously a digestive tract problem Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX I am sorry for your problems but the digestive condition that usually presents with such symptoms is acute or sub-acute pancreatitis and the major risk factor is heavy alcohol consumption. I do not know if you drink and smoke but if you do then that maybe the cause. Another common cause is biliary tract disease, invasive abdominal procedures/surgeries, trauma, drugs, and less commonly infection, hypercalcemia, hypertriglyceridemia, tumors, toxins etc. Well this is mostly my suspicion and that will have to be ruled out with a CT scan. Given the above scenario, it is possible that the cause will be a biliary tract diseases as there is high lipase, high WCC, high bilirubin and other digestive symptoms. The only way to stop the diarrhea is to identify the cause as soon as possible. Rehydration is paramount in maintaining fluid and electrolytes balance in your system and preventing dehydration. There are several other causes of above presentation besides pancreatitis but are mostly digestive tract diseases (the list is long so I will leave that part for your doctor/s to rule that out), but also lung and cardiac diseases can often be responsible. If you are not already in a medical facility i.e admitted, then you should be. An internist or a gastroenterologist should be able to review your case and come out with reasonable conclusions as soon as possible. You are young and your condition seems serious therefore require emergent intervention. Hope this helps and wish you the best. Dr. Nsah