Cause and treatment for depression

Hi I am constantly stressed. I feel like I can't move hardly because I am so stressed. I am a Nursing student,mother,caregiver,I work,and constantly have a full house. I can't study because my minds going In a hundred different places and I can't focus. I feel like I am drowning. I overweight, and always tired. I need help and I am not sure what to do
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Depression Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. The symptoms that you have stated that of #feeling stressed # Unable toconcentrate # Always tired # Feel like drowning All these suggest that you might be having a depressive episode. In depression the life appears mostly hopeless and the work efficiency also reduces. And that is the reason probably you are feeling that you are always hose full. If such a patient comes to my clinic, I would like to start him/her on Fluoxetine or Venlafaxine for 8-10 months. The drugs start showing their effect in 6-10 days with remission of symptoms in 14 days if the drugs are effective. Also I would advice you to get a complete blood count and thyroid levels done to identify if these symptoms are due to anemia or hypothyroidism or due to stress. If you feel you are not comfortable taking medicines, there is an option of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). This therapy is taken by either a psychologist or a psychiatrist in which the therapist identifies impaired cognitions (Thoughts) and try to correct them. They are 15-20 min weekly session and there should be around 8-10 sessions to help you with your illness. There is no need to feel panicky. Discuss these options with your GP or psychiatrist who would be happy to help you with a prescription. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.