Cause and treatment for anal fissure?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
anal fissure
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 28 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX

Anal fissures are usually caused by trauma to the anal canal. The cause of the trauma usually is bowel movement of a hard stool or repeated episodes constipation. When there is a fissure, the anal sphincter usually goes into spasm, thereby making bowel movements painful and more difficult, thereby delaying healing and sometimes, leading to worsening of the tear.

Now, since your fissure is of a acute onset, conservative measures should usually be sufficient. You can try the following suggestions:

- The first step is to prevent further hard stools increasing the tear, so eat fibre-rich foods, fruits, drinking plenty of water and avoid spicy and 'sharp' foods.
- use a mild laxative like Naturolax, Fibogyl, etc. for the next few days
- For the pain and discomfort, use a topical anesthetic cream such as Lignocaine gel
- use Diltiazem cream or Nitroglycerine cream before passing stools, in order to relieve the spasm of the anal sphincter.
- Apply Aloe compresses on the anus as the healing properties helps in alleviating the pain.
- Avoid rough toilet paper as it may cause more problems. Be gentle while wiping the sores as it may open up the sores due to constant rubbing. Avoid scented and colored toilet paper. These may cause irritation. If possible use facial tissues to wipe your bottom.

key factor to avoid anal fissures is to keep the area dry. With every shower or bowel movement try to dab the area with baby powder.

In most cases, following these conservative management suggestions will heal the fissure and relieve symptoms within a few days or a maximum of 2 weeks.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Follow-up: Cause and treatment for anal fissure? 50 minutes later

thanks for the valueble suggestions.
As the pain is there for more than 2 months and missed the medicine in the 1st time as I feel relaxed for the 1st time after use, I have stopped it after.
Now again for last 2 weeks the pain along with Blood while passing stool is more.

I am using stool softener & cream twise a day.
what are the fruits suggested along the food habbits best to heal from the problem
But now the pain is little more irretating.
Please suggest some information on sitz bath for better releaxation.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again,

Foods high in fibre include:
wholegrain bread, brown rice, oats, beans, grains, seeds, fruit(papaya) and dried fruit, vegetables. Adults should aim to eat at least 18g of fibre a day.

A sitz bath is a warm water bath used for healing or cleansing. You should sit in the bath two to three times a day for 20 minutes. The water should cover only your hips and buttocks.

Sitz baths are often used to relieve pain, itching, or muscle spasms. The baths are often recommended to relieve pain and speed healing.

If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.